Sugar Free Creme Brulee!
Who doesn’t love Creme Brulee? It’s an expensive, fancy dish that is usually only available at fancy restaurants, but if made properly, this is a very nutritious, low-carb and sugar free dessert!
I had never even attempted to make Creme Brulee before I came across a great recipe for it in a Crockpot cookbook of all places! Yes, I’ve adapted this from the wonderful Make it Fast, Cook it Slowcookbook by Stephanie O’Dea of 365 Days of SlowCooking.
I adapted the recipe (and doubled it) to be free of sugar and low-carb. Oh, and I didn’t do anything involving a kitchen blow-torch on the top of it, so I guess this is not truly “creme brulee”.
I used Truvia (a stevia-erythritol blend) instead of sugar. By the way, I’m not 100% confident that Truvia is the best thing in the world, the jury is still out. I do trust it far more than any artificial sweetner, but if you’re concerned you can simply stick to your favorite form of stevia and add it to taste. There are lots of different Stevias out there, so go with what you prefer. In this household, right now we’re hooked on Truvia. But I don’t always trust things that are made by Cargill and white.
2 cups of heavy cream (preferably grass-fed, like Strauss)
5 egg yolks (Coscto now has 18-ct Organic, Cage Free Eggs for a little over $4! Not bad!)
1 Tbs vanilla extract
3-4 packets of Truvia (or your preferred form of Stevia, to taste)
1. Blend all ingredients together.
2. Place in individual ramekins or a large casserole dish.
3. Place in crockpot. Fill crock with water to come up halfway around the dishes (like a hot water bath).
4. Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours. Remove and let cool completely.
5. Transfer and chill in the fridge overnight. It will be a little “jiggly” before you chill it. Don’t worry.
6. Serve topped with sliced strawberries (preferably organic) and enjoy!
Check out some other sugar-free recipes at Naturally Knocked Up. Not all are gluten-free or even grain-free, but they are all at least free of refined sugar and look great!